"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh ... Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh, ... therefore I will lift up my voice to thee ... my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen." (2 Nephi 4: 34-35)

Monday, December 12, 2016

August 1, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I hope that the fame of Isailde is growing between everyone that has read my emails these last couple of weeks, because she is the best!!
Last night she made a FEAST, and I mean a full out banquet for me and my companion. Last week  I mentioned that while I have been in Brazil I have learned to love fish. So Isailde decided to make a fish feast for us and a bunch of other people as well.

Isailde made a fish stew called muqeuca for us, and that sweet deliciousness has got to be one of the greatest things that has every touched my little white American lips in my entire life. It was SOOO GOOOD!!! I am pretty sure Isailde has a secret goal to send me home fat hahaha. And I think she is succeeding!
Other than that incredible food party, the week was incredible as well. Its always a pleasure to see how the members slowly change as they start to feel more of the missionary spirit. Before I came here the members were used to having an investigator a church, maybe once a month or so. But now that they have seen all the people coming to visit and learn more about the church, they have all opened up so much to missionary work, and it always seems to be the greatest concern of the members to  help us as much as possible! Needless to say its pretty great.
This week we meet a woman named Rose, who is one of these new incredible investigators that we have. We met her knocking doors and set up a return appointment and invited one of the sisters in the ward to go with us. As we were getting to know Rose and explaining about how our message could change her life, she opened up to us and told us her life story. And man was it rough. I was amazed by the fact that she was able to remain so strong during her whole life and keep her faith in God even though she had been the victim of countless injustices.  My heart was touched with a feeling of extreme gratefulness that in my life I have never had to experience  such circumstances because I was born and raised in a family centered in Christ. I owe a lot to my family, mostly my parents (shout out to you mom and dad for being awesome!!)
But it really is true families are a sacred unit ordained by God to provide love and protection for His children. That is as long as the families obey the gospel. When individuals and families decide to ignore God´s commandments there are always consequences that follow, and unfortunately, as in the case of Rose, these consequences can be extreme that leave emotional, and physical scars for the rest of your life.
Let be grateful for the simple teaching of the savior and give heed to his words. Its worth the price of any sacrifice.

``Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.`` John 14:6
``And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel’s, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.`` Mark 10:29-30

Love you all and hope you have an incredible week!!


Elder Rice