"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh ... Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh, ... therefore I will lift up my voice to thee ... my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen." (2 Nephi 4: 34-35)

Friday, November 6, 2015

July 13, 2015

Hey Everybody!!

There really is nothing like living in Brazil other than living in Brazil! When I wake up in the morning I look out my window to see a forest of palm trees in the distance and feel the cool air of the morning (which sometimes isn´t very cool...). And during the day I walk under a ball of fire but luckily the people here are kind enough to welcome you in and give you a ice cold glass of water if you just knock on the door. It's a pretty great experience to live amongst another culture and learn to love it.

This week Elder Da Silva and I were trying to finalize everything for Gabriel´s bapism but unfortunately we had to post-pone it. Although I think it was for the best. The day before his baptism Gabriel fought with his step-father and when we went over there to do the baptismal interview his parents were hesitant about letting him get baptized. They had hoped that as their son frequented our church and prepared for baptism he would change around the house. Gabriel has definatly been changing but unfortunately in the heat of the moment his temper got the better of him. So we are hoping to wait until this Saturday or possibly the next Saturday before we baptism him. We want to show his parents that we respect their interests and want to see the same changes in their their son that they want to see. I know Gabriel is a great young man and that the church would just help him to grow even more, and become an influnence within his family for good.

Other than the work that we did with Gabriel Elder Da Silva and I have been keeping busy with several other families. It seems like nearly every lesson that we have with an investigator or a less active we end up finding new people to teach. One couple, that we found yesterday, to teach that I am very excited to follow up with is Johnathon and his wife Camille. I recited the first vision to them and during the whole thing Camille wouldn´t break eye contact with me. I felt that the spirit really testified strongly to her about what I was saying, and after that her demenor changed. I feel there is great potential there and I can´t wait to see if she prayed about the truthfulness of our message.

The mission is unlike anything else. It is such a great opportunity to learn and grow. I try to take advantage of every minute that I can. It seems like the more I learn the more I realize how little I know. Luckily though I and all of us have the grace of God to make up for all of our short comings. Never forget that his arms of mercy are always extended to help us in every moment of our lives.

I love you all and hope that you all pray in gratitude for your blessing, and always study the scriptures.

Love,

Elder Rice